Marilyn Brophy, MBA, M.A., B.A.(Hon), CFA, C. Dir
Marilyn Brophy is a retired investment executive and business leader with 31 years of experience in multiple disciplines, including investment management, equity capital markets, company strategic analysis, risk assessment, and the development of organizational capability.
Early in her career, Marilyn served as Director of Equity Research for Scotia Capital (1999 – 2003) and was named one of Canada’s top-ranked analysts (retailing and consumer products) in the Brendan Woods annual survey of investment professionals. Between 2003 and 2010, she served in a similar role with UBS Global Asset Management (Canada) where she was in charge of equity research and stock selection for the Canadian retail, consumer, industrial and aerospace sectors. In 2010, she became Managing Director and Head of Equity Research for CIBC Asset Management and before retiring eight years later, she had not only built and led one of Canada’s largest buy-side equity research teams, but also co-managed approximately $5 billion in equity assets on behalf of institutional and retail investors.
Marilyn was born with severe hearing loss and wears hearing aids. A current board director, she has also been engaged with various company boards on various issues throughout her career, including governance, say-on-pay, strategic direction, and capital allocation decisions.
AND COMMITTEE EXPERIENCE
• Independent Board Member and Member of Audit Committee, ivari Canada (2020 – present)
• Independent Board Member, Chair of Investment Committee, Member of Audit and Human Resources Committees, Park Lawn Corporation (TSX: PLC) (2020 – present)
• Volunteer Board Member, Canadian Hearing Services (2019 – present)
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
• Master of Business Administration (MBA), Queen’s University (1987)
• Master of Arts, Economics, McMaster University (1985)
• Bachelor of Arts (BA), Honours, Economics, Queen’s University (1984)
• Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), CFA Institute (1995)
• Chartered Director (C. Dir), The Directors College (2019)
• Audit Committee Effectiveness Short Course, Institute of Corporate Directors (2019)