James (Jim) Kyte, MBA
James (Jim) Kyte is a veteran college administrator, respected community leader and former professional athlete, with a rich background in leading innovative and strategic initiatives in the competitive higher-education environment and not-for-profit sector.
The Ottawa native has the unique distinction of being the only deaf player in the history of the National Hockey League. A first-round draft pick of the Winnipeg Jets in 1982, he enjoyed a 17-year professional hockey career, including 13 seasons in the NHL with Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Calgary, Ottawa and San Jose.
Jim currently serves as Dean of Algonquin College”s School of Hospitality and Tourism, a position he has held since 2014.
Previously, he spent seven years as the Academic Chair of the Marketing and Management Studies Department in the Algonquin College School of Business. Jim joined Algonquin College in 2002 with the mandate to establish a Sport Business Management postgraduate program, which he then ran for five years.
Jim co-founded the Canadian Hearing Impaired Hockey Association and ran the Jim Kyte Hockey School for the Hearing Impaired for eight years, operating in Toronto, Winnipeg, and Ottawa.
Jim is an experienced public speaker and former national newspaper columnist. Actively involved in his community, Jim has been on several charitable boards and organizing committees.
• Executive Board Member of Ottawa Senators Alumni (2014–present).
• Board Member of the Ottawa Tourism Development Council (2017–present)
• Provincial Member of the AODA Standards Development Committee for Postsecondary Education (2018–present)
• Organizing Committee Member of the Blue Door Gala for the Ottawa Mission (2019)
• Founded and served as President on two national charities: the Canadian Hearing Impaired Hockey Association and the Jim Kyte Hockey School for the Hearing Impaired.
• Board Member, Past Treasurer, Chelsea Foundation (1999–2002, 2012–2014)
• Past Board Member, Hockey Eastern Ontario (HEO)
• Chair, Hockey Canada Skills Academy (HCSA) Committee
• Past Board Member, TEAM Ottawa‐Gatineau (2007–2017
• Selected to the 2017 Diversity 50 cohort of the Canadian Board Diversity Council (CBDC)
EDUCATION & CREDENTIALS
• MBA, specialization in Executive Management, Royal Roads University, 2012
• Completed College Leadership Excellence program modules on Working with Boards, and Duties and Obligations of Governors (2020)
• Governor General”s Academic Gold Medal, 2012
• Royal Roads University Chancellor”s Award, 2012-1013
• Saint Francis Xavier University, Certificate in Adult Education, 2004