William Clements, MBA, CFA
William Clements has four decades of experience in risk management, finance and financial governance. He has worked as a consultant with international projects in many countries. This includes financing limited recourse projects, raising equity and debt financing, developing business plans, advising on business management and profitability, sustainable practices, social inclusion, and more.
When Export Development Corporation (EDC) formed its risk management office, William had the opportunity to build risk management as a key department at EDC. Over eight years at EDC, he helped move the organization from a lender to sovereigns to a lender to corporate borrowers. William also managed an investment portfolio of CAD $3 billion in loan and equity assets. As a Risk Management Officer, he helped set up the risk evaluation systems, including reporting functions. Frequent reports were made to the senior executive and board of directors on the asset portfolio, and trends and issues pertaining to it.
Following his early retirement from EDC in 2007, after 20 years in international finance, William continued teaching courses in finance, global finance, investment and international business at Carleton University’s Sprott School of Business and Royal Roads University (Victoria). He is also now a keen follower of Environmental, Sustainability and Governance (ESG) in finance, and is passionate about conservation and renewable energy in business.
More recently, William has been transitioning to spend less time working as a university professor toward advising credit unions in developing countries on governance, sustainability and risk management. He spent time in Colombia from 2017-2018 and Indonesia from 2019-2020. William has visited some 40 countries during his career and volunteer experiences, and during his career in international finance, he became fluent in French and Spanish.
William has an L1 spinal cord lesion. He generally uses a wheelchair for mobility and walks with crutches and braces.
Board Memberships and Committee Experience
- Director (responsible for corporate finance), Turtle Mountain Feeders (2018 – present)
- Director, CCC 289, Ottawa, Ontario (2022 – present)
- Member, Advisory Board, Kelso Energy (2016 – 2017)
Education and Credentials
- Certificate in Online and Blended Courses, Carleton University (2016)
- Case Method Workshop, Ivey Business School, University of Western Ontario (2015)
- Online Instructional Skills Workshop, Royal Roads University (2015)
- Certificate in University Teaching, Carleton University (2009)
- Chartered Financial Analyst designation, CFA Institute (1995)
- MBA with Finance Concentration, University of Toronto (1992)
- Canadian Investment Finance – Parts I and II, Canadian Securities Institute (1984)
- Bachelor of Arts in Economics, University of Manitoba (1979)