The Honourable Steven Fletcher P.C., MBA, B.Sc., P.Eng., ICD.D, C. Mgr.
Steven Fletcher served in the Federal Cabinet for five years and as a Member of Parliament for four terms. During his time in Cabinet, Steven was the Minister of State for Democratic Reform and Minister of State for Transport. He significantly contributed to forming the framework for many social and economic programs. In the latter role, his responsibilities included Crown Corporations (i.e., Canada Post, Via Rail, Canadian Air Transport Security Authority) and government-owned assets such as Marine Atlantic, Ridley Terminal and Federal Bridge Authorities.
Steven was a strong influencer and contributor as part of the key decision‐making bodies that served and supported the economic viability of services and infrastructure during the global financial crisis in 2008. He was the longest‐serving Member of the Federal Treasury Board and served on numerous cabinet committees including Economic Development and Sustainability and Social Affairs. He also served as Parliamentary Secretary for Health and in opposition as a shadow minister of Health.
In 2016, Steven was elected as a Member of the Manitoba Legislature in the provincial riding of Assiniboia. He introduced a record number of meritorious pieces of legislation for a single member.
Currently, he is President of Fletcher Focus International, which provides subject matter expertise and consultancy in government policy, regulatory risk, natural resource development, environmental engineering, social policy and corporate governance.
Steven is a quadriplegic and is completely paralyzed from the neck down. He is the first quadriplegic to be elected to the Parliament of Canada.
Board Memberships and Committee Experience
- Member, Federal Treasury Board (2008 – 2015)
- Member, Cabinet Committee on Economic Development (2008 – 2011)
- Member, Cabinet Committee on Sustainability and Social Affairs (2008 – 2011)
- Member, Parliamentary Health Committee (2006 – 2008)
- Member, Charleswood United Church
- Member, Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
- Lifetime Member, Champlain Society
- President, University of Manitoba Students Union (1999, 2000, 2001)
- Member, University of Manitoba Board of Governors (1999 – 2001)
Education and Credentials
- MBA, Asper School of Business, University of Manitoba (2002)
- B.Sc. (Geological Engineering), University of Manitoba (1995)
- Member of Privy Council (P.C)
- ICD.D, Rotman School of Business, University of Toronto (2018)
- P. Eng., Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscience of Manitoba (2012)
- Leadership Best Practices, Harvard University (2012)
- C. Mgr., Canadian Institute of Management (2003)
- Canadian Securities Course (2001)