Toby G. Wong, B.Comm. (Honors), CPACC
A dual Chinese Canadian-American citizen, Toby Wong is a global consumer marketer and sports executive who broke gender and race barriers over 25 years in Fortune 100 corporations, sports and new businesses. Toby’s specialties include launch, consumer marketing, brand strategy, sports, integrated marketing, accessibility brand management and disability inclusion communications.
Toby’s global experience includes progressive marketing roles at the C-suite, VP and director levels at Team USA, Axient Communications, Nike, the Coca-Cola Company (Global, USA, Canada) and Warner-Lambert (now part of Pfizer). Highlights include co-launching Coca-Cola USA’s sports marketing group; leading Coca-Cola USA’s property and athlete activation, relationships and contracts with the NHL, NBA and other sports; serving as Nike’s first Global Women’s Brand Director; and launching Nike’s Inner Actives performance apparel business, which made its acclaimed global sports bra debut on Brandi Chastain and the US Women’s National Team at the Women’s World Cup.
Toby’s appointment at the US Olympic Committee is noteworthy as the first and highest‐ranking female staff executive (non-volunteer) in the 108-year history of the US Olympic movement and the world’s largest National Olympic Committee (NOC). She was the first Canadian, first female and first Asian Chief Marketing Officer to build the Team USA brand and business. She led her team to raise almost $400 million USD towards their four-year revenue target in year one, including an unprecedented $50 million USD post-US Games sponsorship revenue for America’s teams for the Olympic, Paralympic and Pan American Games. In this role, Toby partnered with Team USA’s Board of Directors, executive team, professional staff, and her marketing and entertainment properties department. She also worked closely with key revenue partners, including NBC Sports, sponsors and suppliers, 40+ National Governing Bodies, the International Olympic Committee and the other 190+ NOCs.
Following Team USA, she founded Toby Wong Consulting. As principal, Toby has been delivering marketing and communications strategies and agency recruitment to clients, including corporations, sports and non-profit organizations.
Toby is deaf and has bilateral cochlear implants. As a late-deafened adult who grew up in the hearing world, Toby’s lived experience of corporations denying reasonable accommodations and their lack of understanding of the strong business case for disability inclusion led her to add key accessibility and disability inclusion certifications to her brand strategy and consumer marketing skill set. Toby recently completed a sports client assignment working on key accessibility brand management and disability inclusion communications projects.
Toby has lived and worked abroad in Asia, Europe and the United States, where she currently resides. She is incredibly passionate about sports and creating opportunities for our daughters and people with disabilities to work, play, compete and get paid equally to their brothers, dads and peers without disabilities.
Board Memberships and Committee Experience
- Member and Social Media Lead, Class Fundraising Committee, Queens University Smith School of Business (2014 – 2019)
- Member, Lake Forest School District Food Service Task Force (2013 – 2014)
- Board Member, Projects Committee, University of Chicago Women’s Board (2006 – 2007)
- Board Member, NW China Council (Portland) (1998 – 2000)
- Board Member, Starlight Foundation (Atlanta) (1995)
- Vice-President, Communications, Queen’s Business Club (1986 – 1988)
Education and Credentials
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Certificate for Communicators, Ragan Communications (2023)
- Certified Professional in Accessibility Core Competencies (CPACC), International Association of Accessibility Professionals (IAAP) (2022)
- Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinator Training Certification Program (ACTCP), Final Certificate and Advanced Training Certificates in Title III Business and ADA Employment, University of Missouri, College of Human & Environmental Sciences, School of Architectural Studies (2021)
- Certificates towards Social Media Specialization (What is Social, Importance of Listening, Engagement and Nurture Marketing, and Content, Advertising and Social IMC), Northwestern University (2017 – 2023)
- Strategic Marketing Management Executive Education Program Certificate, Harvard University Graduate School of Business Administration (1996)
- Bachelor of Commerce (Honours), Queen’s University (1984)