Marianne Berube, BA
Marianne Berube is an accomplished senior director, who has more than 40 years experience in corporate development, marketing, government policy work, board governance, finance, education and leading cultural change.
She graduated from Nipissing University and York University with degrees in environmental science and business, respectively, and later achieved her Certified Investment Management designation. Marianne has extensive experience within the finance, construction and wood industries and recently retired from her role as Executive Director of the Canadian Wood Council-Ontario Wood Works. Marianne sits on several boards and is the current Chair of Nipissing University’s Board of Governors.
In over two decades with Canadian Wood Council-Ontario Wood Works, Marianne built the program from its pilot launch to the successful initiative it is today. This includes fostering partnerships between the forest industry, federal, provincial and municipal governments and connecting to design and construction professionals. Her work influenced over 950 buildings to use wood and resulted in $551 million of new wood sales. Earlier in her career, Marianne worked in the finance sector.
Marianne has been recognized for her efforts by receiving the CIBC Chairman’s Award, an Influential Women’s Award from Northern Ontario Business, the Ontario’s Forest Sector Champion Award from the Ontario Forest Industries Association (OFIA) and a Nipissing University Influential Alumni Award.
Marianne lives with a hearing disability.
Board Memberships and Committee Experience
- Chair, Nipissing University Board of Governors (2020-current and 2015-2017)
- Chair, Council Ontario Universities (2015-2017)
- Vice Chair of Audit and Finance, Nipissing University Board Governors (2012-2015)
- Chair, Canadore College Board of Governors (2005-2011)
- Director, Innovations Initiative Ontario North (2003-2005)
- Board Chair, FPInnovations (2002-2004)
- Vice Chair, Blue Sky Forestry Sector (2000-2002)
- Chair and Director, Nipissing University Foundations Committee (1994-2000)
- Member and Director, Rotary Club of Nipissing (1992-2002)
- Director, Children’s Aid Society (1993-1996)
- Treasurer, North Bay Canoe Club
- Treasurer, North Bay Minor Hockey
Education and Credentials
- Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) courses (2017, 2020)
- PFP, Canadian Securities Institute (2000)
- CFP, Canadian Institute of Financial Planning (1998)
- Fellow of the Institute of Canadian Bankers (FICB) (1995)
- Business Administration, York University (1986)
- BA, Nipissing University (1978)